Last Updated on March 5, 2021 by Devin Greenfield
Red chili pepper has long been widely used in traditional medicine. Nowadays its extract is contained in quite a lot of products for detoxification, joint and muscle pain, fat burning and normal metabolism. Also red chili pepper is one of the most effective natural hair loss treatments. It contains alkaloid capsaicin, which improves blood circulation and stimulates insulin-like factors of hair growth. It’s effective for treatment of different types of alopecia and can be successfully used to regrow hair in both men and women.
One can reach good results with this pepper even if you just take it as a seasoning for your everyday meals. If for some reason spicy food is not recommended, one can apply this pepper directly on hair roots. A mixture of ground red pepper with a little olive oil is the simplest yet very effective hair loss mask. Rub this mixture into your scalp, put a cap, wrap a soft towel around your head and keep it for about 1 hour. Then rinse your hair.
You can prepare special oil for hair regrowth containing red chili pepper: Mix 25 oz. of ground pepper with 200 ml of olive oil and infuse it in a warm place for two weeks. You can also add to this mixture other ingredients with a warming effect such as ground cloves, mustard, black pepper and ginger.
Alcoholate with this pepper is even more effective than oil for hair regrowth mainly because capsaicin in alcoholate penetrates into the skin faster and easier. To make pepper alcoholate steep 30 grams of ground red pepper into 200 ml of alcohol (40-70%) and infuse it in a dark warm place for two weeks. You can mix this alcoholate with pepper oil prepared according to the previous recipe if you want. You can add essential oils to it if you wish. Oils of eucalyptus, lavender, cloves, orange, basil and cedar are particularly useful for natural hair regrowth.
You can also make a hair loss mask with red chili pepper and hot water. Mix about 30 grams of pepper powder with hot water to get creamy mass, rub the mask in hair roots and keep it for 1 hour.
One more old and effective recipe to regrow hair naturally is to mix pepper, salt and fresh onion juice and apply this mixture on your scalp. Unfortunately, this hair mask has unpleasant smell, which can remain even after thorough washing. But beauty requires sacrifice!
Nowadays one can buy special dietary supplements containing red pepper in their formula. They are also useful for natural hair regrowth because capsaicin improves blood circulation and stimulates insulin-like growth factors if taken both topically and orally.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is cayenne pepper good for hair?
Definitely! There’s many chili pepper benefits for hair.
- Since it has antibacterial properties, it will prevent scalp infection and, therefore, reduce hair loss. It is also rich in vitamins that prevent thinning of hair.
- Not only it combats hair loss, chili pepper is also very good for new hair growth. The mixture with olive oil has become one of the most popular natural treatments for hair regrowth these days.
- Cayenne pepper also contains antioxidants that will help you in case of graying of hair, especially if it happens prematurely. You can massage a mixture of pepper with curd for better results.
- Another benefit is that hot chili pepper helps cleanse your scalp. The mixture with some lemon juice absorbs excessive dirt in the scalp and restores your hair as well. It is also very effective for dandruff removal.
Will too much red chili pepper cause hair loss?
Because it contains capsaicin, in big amounts it acts as an inflammatory stimulus, i.e. may lead to excessive heat and even nerve inflammation. Therefore, it is quite possible that excessive consumption of pepper and capsaicin for a long duration may hinder hair growth and trigger the catagen stage of your hair.
Red hot chili pepper with olive oil — does it really work?
This popular mixture has been used for ages to regrow hair. In fact, it is one of the best and most affordable method to add shine and fullness to your head of hair. It improves blood circulation, cleanses and nourishes your scalp.
There’s a couple of useful recipes that you will want to try.
- Simply take one or two teaspoons of chili pepper with the same amount of olive oil. You will get a thick paste that you can apply on the receding and balding spots. You can rub or massage it for some time and leave it for about 15 minutes, then rinse your hair.
- Mix about 25 grams of dried chili pepper with 0.5l of olive oil and leave it for about ten days in a dark place. Then you can simply use this mixture just as any normal oil for your hair. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo afterwards.
For how long to keep red chili pepper in the scalp and hair?
You can apply a few table spoons of chili pepper oil on your scalp and the whole length of your hair for as long as 10 minutes up to one hour. If the burning sensation is too much, rinse it earlier.
Can I take chili pepper every day?
Sure, you can! Generally, it is very safe and healthy to eat it regularly. However, taking too much of pepper may lead to certain side effects, such as inflammation, stomach ache, allergy, heartburn, cough, etc.