It may sound a little bit weird, but death and loss of our hair occur on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, dead hair does not comes off immediately, but remains for some time in the head skin. It is gradually replaced by new hair what makes it finely fall out. Everyday we may loose up to 50 hairs and it’s considered to be in perfect accordance with the natural process of hair regrowth.
But sometimes it happens that the process of hair loss comes out of control because of improper hair care. Without finding the real cause and without knowing the type of their hair desperate men and especially women rush into trying all kinds of hair loss and hair care products and treatments that happen to be within the reach. Quite often it doesn’t bring the desired result; on the contrary, it may worsen the already poor hair condition.
That is why it is of vital importance to determine the type of your hair before you start any treatment and try any product. One may get lost and frustrated, because there are so many hair types and conditions. But, basically, all of them fall into 3 main groups:
Oily (or greasy) hair is generally characterized by rapid clogging. It gets dirty faster than any other type. Excessive dryness, brittleness and fragility are typical of the hair type that we usually call dry. Normal hair most often gets dirty and out-of-condition within 5-7 days after washing. These are the main points that make all of these hair types different.
And, as you can see, each type requires a special approach to it. Consequently, only if you know your hair type you can choose the appropriate and effective treatments and hair care products. If you don’t, we invite you to read more about different hair types and how to take care of them here.
At present many women and much more men encounter the problem of hair loss. While to lose about a hundred of hairs a day is scientifically considered to be quite normal for the lifecycle of hair follicles, today people are desperately complaining that their daily hair loss is much greater.
Apart from some specific and personal reasons (such as a serious illness, hormonal imbalance, pregnancy, aging, etc.), such rapid hair loss is also caused by a serious deterioration of environmental conditions and poor, unhealthy lifestyle in general.
A fair question arises: how to deal with the consequences of a hectic metropolitan life and what possibly are we to do to prevent hair loss and regrow our hair in this drastic situation? Here is a couple of proven tips.
If you notice that your hair has started to fall out markedly more rapid, one of the first things to do is to review your day regime. It often turns out that a severe fatigue and, consequently, reduced immunity is the main cause of your hair loss.
So, in order to restore your immunity and, thus, regrow your hair, you need to give yourself (finally) the opportunity of a good sleep. And it does not always mean to sleep long. What’s more important here is the quality – your sleep should be sound and possibly lucid.
“But how can I sleep well at night, when my day life is full of troubles, strains and stresses?” you will ask. Well, there is a simple, but yet effective method to succeed.
- Do not eat anything two hours before sleep (an exception – some warm milk or caffeine-free tee (a herbal one), better with honey, if you really feel hungry and uncomfortable).
- Go for a walk in the fresh air for at least 15-20 minutes before the bedtime. Slight jogging is also welcome.
- Pay attention to the conditions of your sleep: your room should be cool, the bed should be comfortable, but not too soft. So, make necessary changes if needed.
If you stick to these simple rules, it will surely lead to some improvements of your health in general, and, of course, your hair condition as well. What’s really amazing about it is that you will be able to notice some positive results already after a week or so. Just do it!
- Healthy hair is usually strong and elastic due to greasing produced by sebaceous glands. It can be stretched 1.5 times longer and then it returns to its normal length undamaged. It is almost as strong as aluminum and is capable to sustain the weight of 0.1 to 0.2 kg. That’s why in old times people used ropes made of women’s plaits to elevate heavy loads.
- Hair is hygroscopic, i.e. it can absorb water. It is rather acidproof, but vulnerable to alkali.
- Hair has the ability to accumulate certain substances. That’s why it’s successfully used by criminalists in their investigations.
- First hair appears on the head of a child when he is in a womb of a mother, approximately on 4-5 month of pregnancy.
- Intensity of hair growth depends on the season and time of day: it grows faster in spring and summer than in winter and autumn. Also hair growth is not that intensive at night than during daytime.
- A single hair can grow from 2 to 7 years with the speed of 0,3-0,4 mm a day.
- Hair grows averagely 2 years on men’s heads and 4-5 years on women’s.
- Normally a man loses 30-100 hair a day.
- Each follicle bears about 20-30 hair during human life.
- Hair grows about 1 cm a month.
- An adult man has about 100,000 hair, and its amount depends on color. A single hair of Africans and Asians is the thickest. It can be 3 times thicker than that of European blondes. But at the same time blondes have the biggest amount of hair on their heads – about 150,000. Redheads have the thickest hair, but its amount is smaller than that of brunettes.
Don’t you know that bananas are actively used to prevent hair loss and regrow hair? They are also very useful in general hair care for both dry and greasy hair. So why not try hair restoration with banana mask?
In case you have dry and lifeless hair this recipe will surely bring good results. Take a banana, peel it, put it in an enamel saucepan and knead it with a plug. Add a whipped yolk, 2 spoonfuls of sour cream and 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix it all thoroughly and put it on your scalp and hair before washing. Keep it about 40 minutes, holding your head in a warm bandage. Wash up your head with a shampoo and rinse it with acidified water. After such procedures your hair will surely become softer and more shiny.
There’s a bit different recipe for greasy hair. Peel one large ripe banana, knead it with a plug. Take its peel and blend or pass it through the meat grinder. Add 2 teaspoons of citric juice and mix all components. Take fresh milk and put it on your scalp and hair with a tampon. Then aplly the mix in the same manner and wrap your head with a warm kerchief or towel. Leave it for 30-40 minutes, then wash up your hair with a soft shampoo. Your hair will restore elasticity, softness and tenderness.
It’s not a secret that potatoes can work wonders to your hair. So if you want to regrow your hair and make it look healthier it is very advisable to make potato mask and apply it to your scalp and hair at least once a week. To prepare it take a dish, add one yolk, one tea-spoon of vegetable oil, one tea-spoon of liquid honey and a tea-spoon of fine salt to it. Take two potatoes of medium size. Wash, peel, and grate them. Add grated potatoes to the dish and mix everything thoroughly. Prior to washing your hair divide it into locks and put the prepared mask on the scalp. Put some of the mask on your hair along the whole length. Wrap a warm towel around your head and keep it for 30-40 minutes. Wash your hair with a soft shampoo and rinse it with clear water with a small amount of vinegar or citric acid.
Actually, potatoes are perfect for any kind of hair treatment. Potato masks can be used in case of both greasy and dry hair: it all depends what you add to them. Proper treatment will surely make your hair brilliant and silky. It will also be of great help in case of hair loss.
Masks with potatoes and curdled milk are useful for treating greasy hair. Peel and grate several potatoes. Squeeze out 6 spoonsfuls of potato juice and mix them with about 200 ml of curdled milk (the greasier is your hair – the sourer should be curdled milk. Mix it carefully and put it on your hair roots and along the whole length of your hair. Wrap your head with polythene and a warm towel and keep it for about half an hour. Wash your hair thoroughly with a shampoo for greasy hair.
Use potato mask with a yolk and honey to treat dry hair. Grate 3 medium-sized potatoes, squeeze out juice and mix it with with 1 egg yolk and 20 g of liquid honey. Mix it carefully and rub it into your scalp with soft movements for it to be absorbed better. Also put this mask on clean and slightly damp hair. Leave the mask for about 30 minutes and wash it with warm water without any shampoo. Don’t use a hair-drier.