Growing long, thick and strong hair is not such a difficult task as it might seem to some of us at first. If we think about it, we loose our hair mainly because of lack of proper care, unhealthy lifestyle, stressful situations, and imbalance within our body. However, you can change it all by making use of several hair regrowth tips which will not only help you bring back your lost hair, but also improve your general health.
It’s not a secret that dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, is one of the main causes of hair loss in men and sometimes women. It’s a hormone which blocks hair follicles preventing them from new hair production. If you suspect this could be the reason for your hair thinning, it’s high time to test your DHT level. If it’s high, you will need to lower the level of the hormone in order to foster natural hair regrowth. Consult your doctor and ask for advice which DHT inhibitor to use. Although there are several drugs available, it’s safe to start with natural treatments such as saw palmetto, nettle roots and some others. Also if you prefer green tea, then it’s going to do you only good, as it’s a great natural DHT inhibitor.
Stress management is one of the most important hair regrowth tips. Because long-lasting and/or recurring stress usually results in severe hair loss, avoiding stressful situations and various sources of unnecessary emotional strains is totally necessary to prevent hair from falling out and consequently stimulate natural hair growth. Try to manage your stress – just take it easy, have a nice walk in the nature, listen to your favorite record, talk to your friends, do some meditation – there’s a plenty of healthy ways to soothe your worries and relax.
Our body needs at least 8 hours of uninterrupted healthy sleep to perform its functions at best. During the sleep all organs and tissues restore and acquire energy for another busy day. The same must be said about hair – your strands will have a great benefit if you sleep well. It is also recommended to sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase, since it has much less friction with your head. Thus, it will prevent your hair from being damaged and it won’t be such a mess in the morning.
Along with other tips for hair regrowth, it’s absolutely necessary to quit smoking and abstain from drinking as much as you can. It’s a common knowledge that smoking makes blood vessels shrink, thus slowing down normal blood flow going to your scalp and hair. As for alcohol drinking, it causes hair loss indirectly by raising estrogene levels and depleting zinc from the body. So if you want to grow your hair faster and stronger, say “good bye” to your bad habits and your hair will say “thank you”.
Always keep your hair clean and don’t let grease and dirt clog the pores of the scalp. Excessive amount of bacteria also can cause scalp inflammation. All this creates very unfavorable condition for natural hair regrowth and can gradually lead to hair falling out. Wash your hair at least two times a week. Make sure you use a good shampoo which suits your hair type. Some inexpensive shampoos contain harsh chemicals which may help you get rid of oil and dirt but at the same time will cause damage to the roots of your hair and make them look dry and lifeless. Therefore, a natural or organic shampoo is always a better choice.
You can also add a little baking powder to the shampoo that you use to create an extra volume of your hair. A small amount of olive oil added will nourish the scalp and at the same time help you wash out the debris more easily. Mix your shampoo with some gelatin powder to make hair stronger and also give it additional volume. If you have an oily hair type, rinse it with apple cider vinegar, since it’s an excellent way to reduce the amount of grease and restoring the normal pH balance of the scalp. Lemon juice also works great making the hair silky and shining.
Another great hair regrowth tip is to use warm and cold towels in turn, what makes it similar to contrast shower. First, dampen the towel with warm water and wrap your hair and scalp with it for several minutes. Then do the same with the towel dampened with cold water. This simple method improves blood circulation and stimulates hair follicles to produce more hair.
Aloe vera is known for its healing and soothing properties. Use either some commercially sold liquid aloe vera or, what’s much better, its freshly squeezed juice to rub into the scalp. Massage it carefully and wrap your head with a warm towel. Keep it for about an hour, then rinse your hair well. If you apply aloe vera regularly, it will significantly boost your hair regrowth.
Never brush your hair when it is still wet – you will loose a plenty of it. If your hair is pretty long, always start brushing from its ends, gradually coming up to the roots. Don’t be in a hurry, be careful not to tear your strands. You will want to use a wooden comb or brush – they are usually much safer and don’t generate static electricity which is harmful for hair.
Try to be patient and don’t forget to follow these simple tips for hair regrowth regularly. Be sure, you will notice big progress soon.
Photos taken from: www.flickr.com/photos/d-reichardt/3495049148/, www.flickr.com/photos/mrseb/5481989483/
Alopecia areata is a dermatological condition that causes hair loss in men and women. It usually starts out with the development of round bald patches on the scalp and eventually spreads out to other parts of the body. It has no known cause and is sometimes linked to other diseases. However, alopecia areata is believed to be mostly an autoimmune disorder where the immune system mistakenly identifies and attacks scalp openings as intruders, thereby causing loss of hair. Though no real cause has been found for this disorder, there are several possible alopecia areata treatments available today.
Since there is no definite cure for this condition yet and it is not generally considered a life-threatening disease, sufferers are fortunate to have access to many options. Patients who suffer it take alopecia areata treatment to soften or remedy the effect of baldness to their overall appearance and regrow lost hair. The hair loss remedies existing today may range from natural hair loss treatments to purely medical solutions.
Anti-inflammatory drugs widely used to treat alopecia areata. These drugs help restrain the immune system to prevent it from causing further damages to the body’s healthy cells. Two most popular of these drug-based hair loss remedies are anthralin and corticosteroids. Anthralin is a tar-like substance that is applied on the skin for a few minutes and then washed off.
Corticosteroids, on the other hand, come in the form of pills, topical creams, and injections. For those who experience heavy hair loss, taking pills is a highly recommended option. For fast results, patients may take injections of corticosteroids on the scalp monthly. Topical creams are directly applied on the affected area but are less effective than the other two. When these two drugs are used in combination, it can deliver amazing results.
Another widely-explored natural alopecia areata treatment is the use of essential oils and onion juice. According to researches, massaging essential oils on the scalp daily will encourage hair growth in just a matter of a few months. On the other hand, applying onion juice on the scalp twice a day induces hair regrowth in a short span of two weeks. Depending on the severity of the condition, these natural hair loss treatments usually show promising outcome in less than a month.
While some patients choose to carry on with the temporary baldness, some patients who are not interested in medical hair loss remedies choose non-medical alternatives. Wearing wigs or hairpieces is one of the creative ways to conceal baldness or unsightly patches of hair loss.
Hypnotheraphy or the use of hypnosis is an alternative alopecia areata treatment as well. A case study involving 28 participants with extensive alopecia areata found that hynotheraphy helped reduce anxiety and depression level among patients. Hair regrowth for a substantial fraction of the participants rose to a big 75-100%. However, this study has received criticism because of its lack of a placebo and small-sized sampling.
Up to now, there is still no known means to prevent alopecia. Fortunately, there are several options which patients can liberally choose from.
Images source: www.flickr.com/photos/urbanaquariumvideo/3331909832/, http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1191709
Beautiful hair contributes very much to our overall appearance and, therefore, most people want it to look at best. However, excellent hair condition requires some kind of effort, care and patience. Here’s a list of simple hair growth tips which will help you grow your hair longer, thicker and healthier.
- Our hair is basically made up of keratin, a protein which serves as its main structural material. Sufficient intake of protein rich foods is essential for keratin production and, consequently, for strong and thick hair. And vice versa, lack of protein in one’s diet may result in many problems with hair, even including hair loss. Therefore, one of the most useful tips for hair growth is to include such high protein foods as fish, eggs, whole grains, lean meats, nuts and beans in your diet.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are very important for our general health. They are often called ‘good’ fats, since they normalize heart rate and blood pressure, as well as they have anti-inflammatory properties. No need to say that omega 3 deficiency compromises natural growth of hair and whole body functioning in general. The best food sources of these acids are salmon, sardines, fish oil, walnuts, soybeans, flaxseeds. Other omega 3 rich foods are shrimp, tofu, spinach, catfish and scallops.
- It is also very important to have a sufficient daily intake of vitamins to regrow hair, since the lack of them will definitely cause hair loss. Vitamins A, C, B, and particularly biotin, promote natural hair growth. Therefore, include such vitamin rich foods as carrots, spinach, liver, chard, oranges, broccoli, and nuts in your meals.
- Minerals are no less essential for strong and healthy hair. Eating foods rich in calcium, zinc, iron and copper will certainly help you grow hair faster. Such foods as milk, cheese, fish, soy beans, seeds are excellent sources of minerals. It’s also great if you take multivitamin and mineral supplements, as they usually provide the sufficient daily dosage.
- Out body needs sufficient amount of water to be properly hydrated, eliminate toxins and, generally speaking, stay healthy. Thus, together with other hair growth tips, drinking a lot of water and eat juicy fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. It will help you hydrate your scalp and hair, preventing hair dryness and promoting natural hair regrowth.
- Talk to your hair stylist, your friends and possibly colleagues and choose a hairstyle which will suit your hair at best. It should make you feel comfortable and, what’s more important, it must be healthy for your hair. Try to avoid hairstyles which may slow down blood circulation in the scalp and lessen ventilation, for example, tight ponytail or pigtail, or cause any kind of damage (perms, bleaching, etc). Remember, healthy condition of your hair should always come first.
- Additionally, trim your hair regularly (about every 3 or 4 months) in order to avoid split ends. Of course, your hair won’t grow faster or better because of that, but it will definitely look more kempt and healthy. Some people prefer not to trim their hair at all just because they want it long. But if you think about it, there’s no real need to avoid trimming and leave your hair careless. Averagely, each hair grows about 1 cm a month. So if you cut off 1 or 2 cm every 3 or 4 months, you will still manage to grow your hair longer.
- Along with the mentioned hair growth tips, there are also special exercises to improve blood circulation in the scalp. For example, in yoga there are special postures which increase blood flow to hair follicles. Also doing scalp massage everyday will increase blood circulation in the headskin and promote your hair growth. The great thing about it is that you can easily do it on your own at home. You can even order a scalp massaging device. To make your hair grow faster, also rub Mira oil in your scalp, massage it gently before sleep and wash your head in the morning.
- Tips for hair growth also include certain things that you should avoid. Avoid tying hair too tight – just let them hang and breathe freely. Don’t be too hard while brushing it – you can easily damage hair follicles and cause scalp irritation. Don’t wash your hair too often, especially if you use some cheap shampoo with harsh chemical substances – wash your head with a high-quality shampoo not more than 2-3 times a week. Avoid hair coloring, perming, straightening, and blow drying, as it can damage hair follicles shafts and follicles and hinder natural hair growth. Keep your hair away from direct sunlight, because strong UV-rays is a great hazard for you hair and skin.
Images: www.sxc.hu/photo/1210007, www.flickr.com/photos/dedevanderroove/3325642891/
At present vitamins to regrow hair have become very popular among people who suffer from thinning hair and excessive hair loss. And this is easy to understand, as quite often these balding men and women are those who are not able to supply their bodies with sufficient amounts of vitamins and nutrients.
The lack of essential nutrients and vitamins can actually interfere with the normal hair growth cycle which leads to the slowing or stopping of its growth. Vitamin deficiencies can also cause each strands of your hair to become dry and lifeless. This will make your hair more prone to breakage. To avoid these undesirable and unsightly things from happening to your hair, you should consider taking the vitamins that can help it restore its natural health and look fuller. The most popular of them are: Vitamin B, A and C.
One of the many effective vitamins to regrow hair is Vitamin B, particularly biotin. It is known to play a vital role in natural hair growth. When you take this type of vitamin, you will be helping your body produce sufficient amounts of proteins which are useful in making each of your hair strands stronger, thicker and healthier. The texture of each strand can also be expected to have an even healthier shine. In order for your body to receive sufficient amounts of the vitamin, you should try to incorporate in your diet foods that are rich in it. Among these foods are: wheat germ, liver, brewer’s yeast, eggs, potatoes, chicken, rice and oranges.
Vitamin A is also known to be effective in preventing excessive hair loss and hair thinning. It is capable of ensuring that the normal hair growth cycle is performed in an effective manner. However, you have to make sure that you supply your body with just the right amount of it to guarantee good results. Keep in mind that an excessive amount of this vitamin may cause your hair to be damaged. Because of this, you need to make sure that you take just the right amount of it directly from its sources like carrots, apricots, broccoli, spinach, fish liver oil, etc.
Vitamin C is also considered to be a major help when it comes to stimulating hair regrowth. Because it is rich in antioxidants, you can expect it to help support your hair when it comes to producing collagen. Collagen is known to play an important role in making your hair stronger and in preventing it from breakage. It also keeps a healthy immune system what is important for your total health. Considering all of these, it is no longer surprising why Vitamin C is referred by most people as one of the most essential vitamins to regrow hair.
Summing it up, hair loss negatively affects the overall appearance and the majority of balding women and men consider this problem to be devastating. Quite often it results from the lack of essential vitamins in our diet plan. Therefore, you have to start nourishing your hair by including more foods that are rich in Vitamin B, C, A and others. These vitamins are also widely available as dietary supplements in the form of tablets and powders. For many people this simple move works wonders and brings back health and natural shine to their hair.
There are several alternative approaches to regrow hair that have proved to be quite effective for many balding men and women. Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss is one of them.
Ayurveda is a traditional system of medical treatment that originates from ancient India. Ayurvedic medicine has evolved throughout its 5,000-year-old history and nowadays continues to be one of the most influential systems of alternative medicine. Consisting of two Sanskrit terms – ayus, meaning “life” or “longevity”, and veda meaning “knowledge” – the word Ayurveda literally means “knowledge for longer life”. It offers a complete, holistic approach that holds an all-time focus on all aspects of a person’s life rather than occasional and/or selective treatment.
Three Doshas and Hair Loss
Ayurveda is based on the physics of five elements which compose the human body as well as everything in the universe. These elements are: air, fire, earth, water and ether. They come together to produce three basic elemental energies, or doshas – Vata, Kapha and Pitta. Vata is the ether and air elements which fill empty airspaces and channels in the body and help to govern the nervous system. Kapha includes the water and earth elements which govern the majority of the physical composition. Pitta is the fire and water elements which are present in the body mainly as bile and acid, governing the digestive and elimination systems.
A person’s body type is a unique combination of three doshas with one of them dominating. You can learn your dominating dosha, i.e. your Ayurvedic body type, by consulting an Ayurveda physician or simply by taking a dosha quiz – you will find many of them in the Internet. When dosha is balanced the body and mind will work at their best, but when imbalanced, a person is susceptible to diseases and disorders. Hair loss results from the imbalanced state of your body, precisely a high level of Pitta dosha. Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss focuses on lowering Pitta dosha and balancing your body type. It basically includes changes to diet, use of herbs and Ayurvedic scalp massage.
Ayurveda Diet for Healthy Hair
To regrow your hair and bring back its health and shine Ayurveda recommends to always eat wholesome, fresh and natural foods as the best way of delivering essential nutrients to your hair.
Include lots of fresh fruits in your diet plan. Choose from apples, berries, citrus fruits, melons, sweet grapes, peaches and plums and try to vary your fruit ratio from day to day. Eat more coconut fruit as it’s a great Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss. It balances the fiery component of Pitta, prevents dryness and nourishes your hair and scalp.
Dark green leafy vegetables play a special role in Ayurvedic medicine. They are a rich source of vitamins (A, K, B1, B2) and minerals (calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron) for your hair. Such vegetables as spinach, collard greens, chard, lettuce, sorrel, kale and turnip greens are particularly useful. As with fruits, it’s recommended vary them from day to day.
Ayurveda practitioners advice to drink a cup of aloe vera juice and eat a handful of white sesame seeds every day. While the former disinfect and moisturize the scalp, the latter fortifies hair follicles by providing them with a sufficient amounts of calcium and magnesium.
Whole milk, fresh cheese (paneer), yogurt and some other dairy products lower Pitta dosha and balance your body type. To improve its digestability, it’s better to boil and cool milk before drinking. Blend yogurt with water to get the so called lassi, which is also easier to digest.
Whole grains supply hair follicles with many important minerals and vitamins. Ayurveda recommends eating grains at each meal, as they provide the body with necessary energy. Basmati rice suits all three Ayurvedic body types and, what’s more important, it is the best grain for balancing Pitta dosha. Barley products will also do your hair only good.
Also include nuts in your Ayurvedic diet plan. Almonds and walnuts are very useful for natural hair regrowth and preserving hair color. Eat a handful of nuts every day, but first soak them in hot water to make them easier to digest.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Natural Hair Regrowth
Ayurvedic practitioners have been using herbs to treat hair loss since ancient times. These herbs have properties which help to improve blood circulation, restore natural hair color, reduce inflammation and irritation of the scalp and stimulate natural hair regrowth. Here’s the list of them:
- Gotu kola, also known as Centella asiatica, is probably the most popular Ayurvedic herb to regrow hair. This small herbaceous plant also helps to stimulate brain cells, thus improving concentration, memory, awareness and overall longevity.
- Horsetail is a unique “living fossil” plant with a long history of medical use. It is rich in silica, which makes hair strong, healthy, sleek and shiny. To promote hair regrowth use it to massage your scalp on a regular basis.
- Salvia (sage) is a pretty well-known herb in alternative medicine. Salvia tea stimulates natural growth of hair. Use it to rinse your hair alone or with apple cider vinegar.
- Burdock is another useful herb to combat hair loss and improve your scalp condition. Tea made from burdock and marshmallow, apart from its exotic and delicate taste, is also great for dry hair.
- Van bhengra, a.k.a. Tridax procumbens is a flowering plant that also has hair regrowth properties. It leaf juice can be taken orally, as well as it can be applied as a hair tonic.
- Eclipta alba, or Bhringaraj, is a traditional Ayurvedic treatment for dosha imbalance. It helps to return natural color of gray hair as well as promotes new hair growth.
- Other Indian Ayurvedic herbs used to treat hair loss include haritaki, vibhitaki, ashwagandha. Amla, sandalwood and licorice also help to prevent hair thinning and regrow hair.
Herbs as Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss may have a strong effect on your body. They are generally safe butin certain cases they may interfere with other treatments and drugs you are currently using. Therefore, to avoid any side effects all Ayurvedic herbal remedies should be taken with caution. Discuss it with your doctor (it would be better if he’s into Ayurveda).
Ayurvedic Scalp Massage
Scalp massage with the use of herbal, natural and essential oils is one more effective Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss. It improves blood circulation in the scalp and causes its relaxation. Oils used during massage nourish the roots and shafts of hair, stimulating hair regrowth and making hair strong, thick and lustrous. Oils also give good protection against bad weather and hazards of sun rays. Ayurvedic massage helps to treat such unsightly scalp conditions as dandruff, psoriasis, dead skin and others. Ayurvedic physicians claim that it may even prevent hair from premature graying. Moreover, it will definitely help you sleep better.
Bhringaraj oil is one of the most commonly used. According to a study conducted in India several years ago, regular scalp massage with bhringaraj oil promotes hair regrowth even better than the popular FDA-approved medication Minoxidil (which is considered to be one of the strongest treatments of androgenic alopecia, by the way). Coconut oil is another oil which is widely used in Ayurveda. It is one of the most nutritional oils and, therefore, very useful for hair and scalp. Olive, sesame, mustard, almons and neem oils are also pretty common.
At its best massage is done by Ayurvedic practitioners and usually lasts for about 30 minutes. It requires certain skills and knowledge, which come with regular practice. Unfortunately, not everybody has the opportunity to have their head professionally massaged on a regular basis. One of the ways out is to do self-massage which is also very good for you. Take the following steps:
- Pour some oil (let it be olive oil for the first time) into a bowl and warm it;
- Divide your hair into strands and apply the oil little by little to different areas of your scalp and along the strands with your fingertips;
- Rub the oil into your scalp with slow circular motions gradually covering the entire scalp;
- Wrap your head with a soft towel and keep it on for at least half an hour (the longer – the better; you can even leave it overnight);
- Wash your hair with a good organic shampoo and rinse it with moderately cold water.
And finally, check out this video – it has an unforgettable Ayurvedic spirit about it.