We often think that we know almost everything about our hair. But apart from the most popular facts that are evident and known to everybody, there are still so many amazing things to learn. So, let’s check it out!
- 95% of our skin is covered with hair.
- If all hairs of the body and the head were joined into one whole hair, it would grow with the speed of 116 mm a minute, 116 cm every 10 minutes, almost 0.7 m an hour, 166 m a day respectively.
- Hair grows differently in different parts of the human body.
- Eyelashes usually grow in three rows. There are from 150 to 200 eyelashes on the upper eyelid and about 75-100 on the lower one.
- Eyelashes grow from 3 to 5 months, while hair on the head has a considerably longer life-cycle (from 3 to 10 years).
- Our eyebrows consist of up to 600 hairs.
- The width of hair on the head ranges between 50 and 100 micrometers (1 micrometer = 0.001 mm), while eyebrows are usually 50 micrometers in diameter. The width of wool hair is only 15 micrometers.
- There are usually from 90000 to 150000 hairs growing on our heads.
- The longest hair grows from the age of 14 to 17 years. After that our hair gradually becomes shorter and thinner.
- Hair grows most rapidly between 15 and 30 years of age. Hair growth slows down considerably after 50 years.
- In summer our hair grows faster than in winter. It also grows faster in the first half of the day and in the evening, while its growth almost stops at night.
- The shape of our hair is determined by hair follicles on our heads.
- The process of hair change is slow and almost imperceptible. It’s not similar with loss of embryonic hair (that’s more like molting in animals that goes immediately and spontaneously).
- You will have strong and healthy hair if you have good blood supply of the scalp, and, on the contrary, when blood circulation is poor your hair will grow weak and will be exposed to various disorders.
- 35-45 ?C is the optimal water temperature for washing your hair.
- 85% of women are in a better mood after visiting a hairdresser.
- According to American experts, hair loss affects 60-70% of men and 25-40% of women.
- There are 300,000 of treatments against hair loss and that’s more than in case of any other disease.
- Healthy hair is usually strong and elastic due to greasing produced by sebaceous glands. It can be stretched 1.5 times longer and then it returns to its normal length undamaged. It is almost as strong as aluminum and is capable to sustain the weight of 0.1 to 0.2 kg. That’s why in old times people used ropes made of women’s plaits to elevate heavy loads.
- Hair is hygroscopic, i.e. it can absorb water. It is rather acidproof, but vulnerable to alkali.
- Hair has the ability to accumulate certain substances. That’s why it’s successfully used by criminalists in their investigations.
- First hair appears on the head of a child when he is in a womb of a mother, approximately on 4-5 month of pregnancy.
- Intensity of hair growth depends on the season and time of day: it grows faster in spring and summer than in winter and autumn. Also hair growth is not that intensive at night than during daytime.
- A single hair can grow from 2 to 7 years with the speed of 0,3-0,4 mm a day.
- Hair grows averagely 2 years on men’s heads and 4-5 years on women’s.
- Normally a man loses 30-100 hair a day.
- Each follicle bears about 20-30 hair during human life.
- Hair grows about 1 cm a month.
- An adult man has about 100,000 hair, and its amount depends on color. A single hair of Africans and Asians is the thickest. It can be 3 times thicker than that of European blondes. But at the same time blondes have the biggest amount of hair on their heads – about 150,000. Redheads have the thickest hair, but its amount is smaller than that of brunettes.
It’s not a secret that potatoes can work wonders to your hair. So if you want to regrow your hair and make it look healthier it is very advisable to make potato mask and apply it to your scalp and hair at least once a week. To prepare it take a dish, add one yolk, one tea-spoon of vegetable oil, one tea-spoon of liquid honey and a tea-spoon of fine salt to it. Take two potatoes of medium size. Wash, peel, and grate them. Add grated potatoes to the dish and mix everything thoroughly. Prior to washing your hair divide it into locks and put the prepared mask on the scalp. Put some of the mask on your hair along the whole length. Wrap a warm towel around your head and keep it for 30-40 minutes. Wash your hair with a soft shampoo and rinse it with clear water with a small amount of vinegar or citric acid.
Actually, potatoes are perfect for any kind of hair treatment. Potato masks can be used in case of both greasy and dry hair: it all depends what you add to them. Proper treatment will surely make your hair brilliant and silky. It will also be of great help in case of hair loss.
Masks with potatoes and curdled milk are useful for treating greasy hair. Peel and grate several potatoes. Squeeze out 6 spoonsfuls of potato juice and mix them with about 200 ml of curdled milk (the greasier is your hair – the sourer should be curdled milk. Mix it carefully and put it on your hair roots and along the whole length of your hair. Wrap your head with polythene and a warm towel and keep it for about half an hour. Wash your hair thoroughly with a shampoo for greasy hair.
Use potato mask with a yolk and honey to treat dry hair. Grate 3 medium-sized potatoes, squeeze out juice and mix it with with 1 egg yolk and 20 g of liquid honey. Mix it carefully and rub it into your scalp with soft movements for it to be absorbed better. Also put this mask on clean and slightly damp hair. Leave the mask for about 30 minutes and wash it with warm water without any shampoo. Don’t use a hair-drier.