Summer is a very special season for our hair. Heat, dust and strong sun-rays can pose a serious threat to its normal growth if no preventive measures are taken. As a matter of fact, a great number of people complain of dry and brittle hair, splitting ends and excessive hair loss in summer. If you are among them, you will benefit from the following tips. They will help you protect your hair from summer threats and keep it healthy, strong and beautiful.
If your hair is exposed to the sun throughout the day, it may be helpful to wear a cap, a sunhat or a scarf. This could be especially important for those who have their hair dyed dark and don’t want it to lose color. Remember, ultraviolet radiation is very harmful for our hair. Even those who use a tanning bed or booth should protect their hair by wearing a scarf or a towel. To say nothing of the summer sun-rays, which can be far more dangerous. That is why it’s recommended to use a shampoo or other hair care products with UV-protection.
It is very important to wash your hair thoroughly in summer, otherwise it will lose its shine and nice color pretty soon. In order to do this there is a proven method: you simply need to mix your shampoo with some baking soda and wash your head with it. It will remove chemicals, particularly chlorine from the hair. You may use a clarifying shampoo as well.
It’s necessary to keep your hair moisturized in summer. Don’t wash your hair with shampoo every day, as it can make it dry and fragile. If you are not happy with your usual shampoo, you can benefit from using moisturizing shampoo or/and conditioner on a daily basis. Don’t use hair care products with alcohol, because they take natural moisture away. Also limit your use of such items as curling irons and blow dryers. Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated and, thus, help your hair stay moisturized.
To obtain extra-fine gloss of your hair use such hair care product as hair shine spray or silicone serum. But don’t overdo with them, because you can easily make your hair greasy. On order to avoid this, you can take an unused powder brush, apply the spray or silicone serum on it and use it to stroke your hair.
Toxins accumulated throughout winter can seriously aggravate hair loss in spring. The threat comes both from inside and outside, as there are two main ways toxic substances enter the body: orally and transdermally (i.e. through the skin). As far as the question of toxin buildup through our nutrition was covered in detail in the first part of the article, this time we will focus solely on environmental toxins.
Many people wonder if there is something in the city air in winter that makes their hair weak, lifeless and brittle and slows down its growth. In fact, their worries and fears have strong grounds – the air in winter is particularly polluted with harmful toxins and carcinogenic substances.
Keratin is a fibrous protein that is the basic component of hair structure. It has been discovered that keratin molecules can be easily damaged if exposed to toxic substances contained in the air. That is why our hair gains such an unhealthy look and poor condition throughout winter.
Moreover, environmental toxins can get right into scalp follicles destroying follicle tissues and hair cells. As a result, it can slow down hair growth significantly and even provoke rapid hair loss. By the way, the examination has shown that a great number of balding people have toxins and chemicals contained in the scalp.
So, how can we free our scalp and hair from environmental toxic substances accumulated throughout winter? First of all it is useful to do a simple examination to make sure whether there are harmful toxins in your scalp follicles and around your hair roots. All you need to do is to grab your head skin with your thumb and index finger in different parts of your head: on the crown, nape, temples, etc. If the skin is easily pinched, this is a good sign – it means that it doesn’t not contain a large amount of toxins and that blood circulation in the scalp is normal. But if you experience difficulty trying to pinch different parts of your scalp with your thumbs and index fingers, this is bad news. Your hair follicles have probably accumulated toxins and chemicals from the polluted air and, thus, they poison your scalp, hinder blood circulation and make your head skin stiff. In this case it’s high time to start thinking seriously of detox.
To eliminate toxic substances from your scalp do the following simple exercise on a daily basis. Put one hand on top of the other. Pull the phalanges towards the palms pinching your scalp tight for about half a minute. Apply this exercise to different parts of your head until you cover the whole of it. To dilatate the blood vessels and make your scalp less stiff it is quite useful to wrap your head with a warm wet towel and keep it for several minutes prior to pinching.
And don’t forget that apart from this type of scalp massage it is important to stick to the detox diet – it’s far more effective to fight the problem both from inside and outside.
- In case of the oily scalp and dandruff a mixture of calendula alcoholate and castor oil (ratio 10:1) has proved to bring good results. In case of the dry scalp the calendula alcoholate:castor oil ratio should be 1:1. These recipes will not only help you get rid of dandruff and excessive dryness of the scalp but also help you regrow lost hair.
- In case of itching and irritation of the scalp make a mixture of 10 grams of birch tar, 20 grams of castor oil and 100 grams of alcohol and rub it in carefully several hours before washing your head.
- One more hair mask to make your hair grow faster: take 1 teaspoon (tsp) of castor oil, 1 tsp of honey, 1 egg and juice of 1 middle-sized onion and mix these components thoroughly. Rub the mask in the hair roots 2 hours before washing your head. Then wash the mask of with a soft shampoo or baby soap and rinse your hair with water acidified with lemon juice or vinegar.
- The following infusion works great for blond hair. You will need 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of chamomile extract and 3/4 glass of vodka. Infuse it in a dark place for 5-6 days and rub it in the roots of hair on a daily basis.
- Use birch-alcohol lotion to take care of oily hair: mix 1 tsp of birch buds with 5 tsp of alcohol (96%) and rub it in the scalp every day when it is convenient for you. To achieve a better effect it is advisable to additionally rinse your hair with water decoction of birch leaves and buds after washing.
- And one more recipe for this time to make your hair grow faster. Take 20 grams of ivy roots of and the same amount of burdock roots. Boil the mixture for 15 minutes in one liter of water. Filter the decoction and wash your hair with it three times a week.
Always remember that traditional medicine doesn’t work equally with every user. The main advantage of it is that it will never bring you harm and, thus, it is certainly worth trying.
We have previously touched upon general tips how to make hair grow faster. This time we’ll consider some special masks that can significantly accelerate hair growth.
There are a few simple but working recipes of such masks. All of them have been tried and approved by a number of people who reported a high percentage of success. Thus, you can try them too with no fear and no hesitation.
So, before applying any of the following hair masks, wash your hair thoroughly and wipe it with a towel leaving it slightly moist.
- Egg yolk and honey mask. Take one egg yolk, add one tablespoon of honey to it. Rub the mixture into your scalp and roots of your hair. Wrap your head with a towel and keep it for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your hair with warm water. Optionally you can add onions to the mixture to increase its efficiency. The disadvantage here is the unpleasant smell. But many people readily take this sacrifice for the sake of beauty. Still you can get rid of the onion smell by wetting your hair with a small amount of lemon juice in the very end. As simple as that.
- Honey and onion hair mask for faster growth. As you have guessed, the main components are honey and onions. Grate or blend onions and mix it with honey. The onion:honey ratio should be 1:4. Rub the mask into your scalp and hair for half an hour, then rinse it thoroughly with water. You can add some olive oil to soften the mixture in case of dry and brittle hair.
- Hair mask of yeast and pepper vodka. Take about thirty grams of yeast and mix it with two tablespoons of pepper vodka. Apply the mask on your head for about 20 minutes and wash it off thoroughly with water.
Of course, you may not be very willing to prepare these masks on your own. But if you want to make your hair grow faster they are really worth trying.
Long hair is considered to be one of indispensable attributes of women’s and sometimes men’s beauty. As a result, many people want to have long beautiful hair. But there is a problem – the natural rate of hair growth is extremely low. As a matter of fact, hair grows about 1 cm a month on average. So you need to wait for months in order to obtain the desired length of your hair. Life is so short, but we want everything once. That is why “How to make hair grow faster?” is a fair question.
First of all, we need to know whether it is possible to speed up hair growth at all. Unfortunately, the rate of hair growth is limited genetically and acceleration of its growth from this point is impossible, as it is impossible to change your genes. However, there are already hair extensions available if you are desperate of having your desired hair style.
Nevertheless, most often our hair just can’t grow at maximum speed. Its growth is slowed down by a lot of reasons and factors and if we eliminate them, we will make our hair grow significantly faster.
What slows down hair growth. Generally speaking, the main reason is your body’s inability to provide necessary conditions for normal hair growth. It is possible that your hair simply lacks vital “building blocks”, minerals and vitamins for hair growth, or, perhaps, it just can’t grow fast because of improper hair care.
In order to grow healthy and strong your hair is in need of the following substances: calcium, chromium, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, silicon, sulfur, and zinc. So eat more food, which contains these necessary nutrients. For example, milk, brussels sprouts, fruit and vegetables are an excellent source of them.
Beta-carotene also contributes to fast hair growth. It is contained mostly is green and yellow fruit and vegetables. Biotin is very important for your hair as well. Soybeans, oats, legumes, walnuts, brown rice and brewers yeast are all good sources of this element. Remember that consumption of these nutrients should be constant, so make sure your diet is well-balanced.
Blood is the means that delivers these building material to your scalp and hair. Thus, in order to bring nutrients to your head with greater intensity you need to improve blood circulation. Head massage is the best method for it. You should massage your scalp at least ten minutes a day to achieve good result. Use of oil mixture makes massage more effective. For example, you can mix olive, coconut and castor oil and warm it up. Then put this mixture on your scalp and massage it with your fingertips.
Wrong hair care or the lack of it is the second reason that prevents your hair from growing faster. It turns out that hair condition of the majority of people is far from being perfect, but they still wonder why their hair grows so slow.
All our organs are to this or that extent interconnected, so it is important to keep the entire body in healthy state. Any sort of disorder or dysfunction will immediately affect the whole body and hair in particular. Therefore, the primary task is to begin to live healthy life.
Second of all, you hair needs proper and regular care. Washing is the most important thing here. You should wash your head as often as it’s necessary to keep it clean. The excessive amount of sebum, dandruff and other substances that are accumulated on the scalp and hair reduce normal blood circulation and hinder normal functioning of hair follicles. Consequently, it slows down hair growth. It is also of high importance to pick up shampoo or/and conditioner that suits your hair type.
These are only the first steps, but even if you start making them you will significantly speed up your hair growth. Surely, they are taken for granted, but at the same time they are often forgotten about.
Avoid stress, have more rest, improve your sleep. Stick to a diet, eat more healthy food. Drink less coffee. Quit smoking. Drink plenty of water to bring out toxins from your body. Live a healthy lifestyle and be persistent in that. And your hair will say thank you and repay you with a faster growth.