Growing long, thick and strong hair is not such a difficult task as it might seem to some of us at first. If we think about it, we loose our hair mainly because of lack of proper care, unhealthy lifestyle, stressful situations, and imbalance within our body. However, you can change it all by making use of several hair regrowth tips which will not only help you bring back your lost hair, but also improve your general health.
It’s not a secret that dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, is one of the main causes of hair loss in men and sometimes women. It’s a hormone which blocks hair follicles preventing them from new hair production. If you suspect this could be the reason for your hair thinning, it’s high time to test your DHT level. If it’s high, you will need to lower the level of the hormone in order to foster natural hair regrowth. Consult your doctor and ask for advice which DHT inhibitor to use. Although there are several drugs available, it’s safe to start with natural treatments such as saw palmetto, nettle roots and some others. Also if you prefer green tea, then it’s going to do you only good, as it’s a great natural DHT inhibitor.
Stress management is one of the most important hair regrowth tips. Because long-lasting and/or recurring stress usually results in severe hair loss, avoiding stressful situations and various sources of unnecessary emotional strains is totally necessary to prevent hair from falling out and consequently stimulate natural hair growth. Try to manage your stress – just take it easy, have a nice walk in the nature, listen to your favorite record, talk to your friends, do some meditation – there’s a plenty of healthy ways to soothe your worries and relax.
Our body needs at least 8 hours of uninterrupted healthy sleep to perform its functions at best. During the sleep all organs and tissues restore and acquire energy for another busy day. The same must be said about hair – your strands will have a great benefit if you sleep well. It is also recommended to sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase, since it has much less friction with your head. Thus, it will prevent your hair from being damaged and it won’t be such a mess in the morning.
Along with other tips for hair regrowth, it’s absolutely necessary to quit smoking and abstain from drinking as much as you can. It’s a common knowledge that smoking makes blood vessels shrink, thus slowing down normal blood flow going to your scalp and hair. As for alcohol drinking, it causes hair loss indirectly by raising estrogene levels and depleting zinc from the body. So if you want to grow your hair faster and stronger, say “good bye” to your bad habits and your hair will say “thank you”.
Always keep your hair clean and don’t let grease and dirt clog the pores of the scalp. Excessive amount of bacteria also can cause scalp inflammation. All this creates very unfavorable condition for natural hair regrowth and can gradually lead to hair falling out. Wash your hair at least two times a week. Make sure you use a good shampoo which suits your hair type. Some inexpensive shampoos contain harsh chemicals which may help you get rid of oil and dirt but at the same time will cause damage to the roots of your hair and make them look dry and lifeless. Therefore, a natural or organic shampoo is always a better choice.
You can also add a little baking powder to the shampoo that you use to create an extra volume of your hair. A small amount of olive oil added will nourish the scalp and at the same time help you wash out the debris more easily. Mix your shampoo with some gelatin powder to make hair stronger and also give it additional volume. If you have an oily hair type, rinse it with apple cider vinegar, since it’s an excellent way to reduce the amount of grease and restoring the normal pH balance of the scalp. Lemon juice also works great making the hair silky and shining.
Another great hair regrowth tip is to use warm and cold towels in turn, what makes it similar to contrast shower. First, dampen the towel with warm water and wrap your hair and scalp with it for several minutes. Then do the same with the towel dampened with cold water. This simple method improves blood circulation and stimulates hair follicles to produce more hair.
Aloe vera is known for its healing and soothing properties. Use either some commercially sold liquid aloe vera or, what’s much better, its freshly squeezed juice to rub into the scalp. Massage it carefully and wrap your head with a warm towel. Keep it for about an hour, then rinse your hair well. If you apply aloe vera regularly, it will significantly boost your hair regrowth.
Never brush your hair when it is still wet – you will loose a plenty of it. If your hair is pretty long, always start brushing from its ends, gradually coming up to the roots. Don’t be in a hurry, be careful not to tear your strands. You will want to use a wooden comb or brush – they are usually much safer and don’t generate static electricity which is harmful for hair.
Try to be patient and don’t forget to follow these simple tips for hair regrowth regularly. Be sure, you will notice big progress soon.
Photos taken from: www.flickr.com/photos/d-reichardt/3495049148/, www.flickr.com/photos/mrseb/5481989483/
Alopecia areata is a dermatological condition that causes hair loss in men and women. It usually starts out with the development of round bald patches on the scalp and eventually spreads out to other parts of the body. It has no known cause and is sometimes linked to other diseases. However, alopecia areata is believed to be mostly an autoimmune disorder where the immune system mistakenly identifies and attacks scalp openings as intruders, thereby causing loss of hair. Though no real cause has been found for this disorder, there are several possible alopecia areata treatments available today.
Since there is no definite cure for this condition yet and it is not generally considered a life-threatening disease, sufferers are fortunate to have access to many options. Patients who suffer it take alopecia areata treatment to soften or remedy the effect of baldness to their overall appearance and regrow lost hair. The hair loss remedies existing today may range from natural hair loss treatments to purely medical solutions.
Anti-inflammatory drugs widely used to treat alopecia areata. These drugs help restrain the immune system to prevent it from causing further damages to the body’s healthy cells. Two most popular of these drug-based hair loss remedies are anthralin and corticosteroids. Anthralin is a tar-like substance that is applied on the skin for a few minutes and then washed off.
Corticosteroids, on the other hand, come in the form of pills, topical creams, and injections. For those who experience heavy hair loss, taking pills is a highly recommended option. For fast results, patients may take injections of corticosteroids on the scalp monthly. Topical creams are directly applied on the affected area but are less effective than the other two. When these two drugs are used in combination, it can deliver amazing results.
Another widely-explored natural alopecia areata treatment is the use of essential oils and onion juice. According to researches, massaging essential oils on the scalp daily will encourage hair growth in just a matter of a few months. On the other hand, applying onion juice on the scalp twice a day induces hair regrowth in a short span of two weeks. Depending on the severity of the condition, these natural hair loss treatments usually show promising outcome in less than a month.
While some patients choose to carry on with the temporary baldness, some patients who are not interested in medical hair loss remedies choose non-medical alternatives. Wearing wigs or hairpieces is one of the creative ways to conceal baldness or unsightly patches of hair loss.
Hypnotheraphy or the use of hypnosis is an alternative alopecia areata treatment as well. A case study involving 28 participants with extensive alopecia areata found that hynotheraphy helped reduce anxiety and depression level among patients. Hair regrowth for a substantial fraction of the participants rose to a big 75-100%. However, this study has received criticism because of its lack of a placebo and small-sized sampling.
Up to now, there is still no known means to prevent alopecia. Fortunately, there are several options which patients can liberally choose from.
Images source: www.flickr.com/photos/urbanaquariumvideo/3331909832/, http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1191709
Are hair growth products really effective in treating hair loss? If the answer is yes, then why are many people, both men and women, still losing hair? The answer is simple: many people do not know how to solve their hair problems because they don’t know the root cause. They are unable to trace what causes hair loss or thinning so that they can select the proper hair loss remedies for it.
In stimulating hair production one should be careful in applying hair growth products that really work and not just stick to one advice. So why do people lose hair as early as puberty stage? An average person sheds 30 to 50 hairs a day. More than that is a cause for concern. The common hair loss causes are androgenetic alopecia, traction alopecia, pregnancy, iron deficiency, thyroid anomalies, auto-immune diseases, scalp infections, menopause, poor nutrition, heredity, eating disorders, chemotherapy and stress.
One has to seek a doctor’s advice if he suspects excessive loss of hair. A dermatologist may spot the problem and cure it herself. If not, she can recommend the patient to other doctors for further examinations. If one experiences minor hair loss, it is also wise to visit a doctor. Wrong self-administration of hair growth products may cause more harm than good for either the scalp or for the hair.
Upon doctor’s orders, one may have a variety of options to choose from. Some of the easy and safe treatments are:
1) Hair loss remedies with Minoxidil. This is a hypertensive vasodilator medication which stops hair loss. This FDA approved ingredient is contained in most topical hair fall medicines for men and women. Among the most popular ones is Rogaine. This is one of the widely accepted products for hair loss but be forewarned that the intensity of minoxodil for women is much less than that for men. One has to be careful in applying this product because misuse can result to unwanted hair growth on other body parts. It may also cause eye irritation and itching around the treated area.
2) Hair growth products with Vitamin E. Not known to many, Vitamin E can be very beneficial to treating hair problems. It is an antioxidant that assists blood flow of the scalp. It comes out cheap since it may be found in various shampoos, conditioners, massage oils or even in gel capsules. Some other vitamins are also essential: Vitamin A, C, B, especially biotin for hair growth.
3) Natural hair loss treatments. Massaging the scalp with raw eggs is good for the scalp because the proteins from the eggs will stimulate hair growth. Using vinegar removes unnecessary clogs on the scalp and will then give way for new hairs to grow. Applying the gel of the aloe vera plant on the scalp for a period of time cleanses, conditions and maintains the pH balance of the scalp, thus helps in hair production. These are safe and effective treatments to regrow hair naturally.
4) Hair loss remedies with Castor oil. Aside from locking in moisture for the hair, this oil seeps through the hair shaft easily. This is also available in different products sold over the counter. However, one has to avoid overusing it if he/she has oily scalp.
Summing it up, there is a wide array of options to choose from. Whatever works for one person may not be good for another. The best advice is to choose not the most popular or expensive treatments, but those hair growth products that suit you at best.
Photos: flickr.com/photos/mrseb/5601043514/, flickr.com/photos/55524309@N05/5377724557/
Losing from about 50 to 100 hair strands a day is normal. But when too much is lost, say about 200 hair strands a day, then the question what causes hair loss becomes a topical one. Therefore, you should consider the following possible causes for you to be informed.
Most often, hair loss is hereditary. It may be by the genetics of both mother and father or either one of them that you inherited their baldness. You may also have relatives that are bald and that’s why you have excessive hair loss. This hereditary hair loss is called androgenetic alopecia.
People who don’t have enough iron or people who are anemic are likely to have excessive hair loss. This can be prevented by taking iron pills and foods that are good sources of iron such as pumpkin seeds, soybeans, white beans, spinach, oysters, clams and other organ meats.
Hormones somehow contribute as the biggest factor on hair loss causes. Hormones stimulate both hair shedding as well as hair growth. They may cause thinning through the head caused by a certain androgen called Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). When a person has a lot of androgen receptors in his/her hair follicles, DHT can attach to it causing more hair falling out.
A lot of women after giving birth to a child often wonder what causes hair loss in them. In two or three months after delivering a child, most women experience loss of hair after combing and stroking their hair. This can actually last up to six long months but will eventually return to its normal state. After a woman recovers from childbirth, positive hormonal changes usually occur in nearly all cases preventing hair from falling out further.
An overactive and underactive thyroid is one of the wide-spread causes of hair loss.
Taking some medications may have side effects of hair shedding too. Some of these drugs include medicines for arthritis, gout, Parkinson’s disease, blood pressure, heart problems, depression, blood thinner and many others.
Undergoing radiation treatment and chemotherapeutic medications will effect to hair loss too since it cause hair cells to stop from dividing. A few weeks after being treated, 90% of hair strands slowly become thin and easily break.
Major surgery or illness
Shedding of hair may occur after a body system’s shock due to major surgery or illness.
Fungus infection on the scalp
Infection such as ringworm which is a contagious fungal infection causes balding in most young children. Small patches with scaling like dandruffs are signs of a ringworm infection.
Stress, may it be mental or physical, is another factor that causes hair loss from about 3 months after the stressful event. Fortunately, this is only temporary. In most cases normal hair growth happens after recovering from stress.
Excess vitamin A
Too much vitamin A in the body can result in rapid hair shedding too.
Low protein intake
When a human body doesn’t get enough proteins that it needs, it allows hair to be in resting phase and prevents it from growing.
Some other causes include:
- Weight loss
- Severe flu and fever
- Vigorous grooming
- Eating disorders
- Hair cosmetics such as frequent bleaching, abusive use of gels, dyes, sprays and other cosmetic hair products.
- Hair styling such as blow drying, brushing and shampooing.
When you notice excessive loss of hair and you don’t know what to do, you might as well consult a hair specialist to attend to your needs, to figure out what causes hair loss and choose the appropriate treatment.
Images taken from: www.sxc.hu/photo/747399, www.sxc.hu/photo/710059
Beautiful hair contributes very much to our overall appearance and, therefore, most people want it to look at best. However, excellent hair condition requires some kind of effort, care and patience. Here’s a list of simple hair growth tips which will help you grow your hair longer, thicker and healthier.
- Our hair is basically made up of keratin, a protein which serves as its main structural material. Sufficient intake of protein rich foods is essential for keratin production and, consequently, for strong and thick hair. And vice versa, lack of protein in one’s diet may result in many problems with hair, even including hair loss. Therefore, one of the most useful tips for hair growth is to include such high protein foods as fish, eggs, whole grains, lean meats, nuts and beans in your diet.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are very important for our general health. They are often called ‘good’ fats, since they normalize heart rate and blood pressure, as well as they have anti-inflammatory properties. No need to say that omega 3 deficiency compromises natural growth of hair and whole body functioning in general. The best food sources of these acids are salmon, sardines, fish oil, walnuts, soybeans, flaxseeds. Other omega 3 rich foods are shrimp, tofu, spinach, catfish and scallops.
- It is also very important to have a sufficient daily intake of vitamins to regrow hair, since the lack of them will definitely cause hair loss. Vitamins A, C, B, and particularly biotin, promote natural hair growth. Therefore, include such vitamin rich foods as carrots, spinach, liver, chard, oranges, broccoli, and nuts in your meals.
- Minerals are no less essential for strong and healthy hair. Eating foods rich in calcium, zinc, iron and copper will certainly help you grow hair faster. Such foods as milk, cheese, fish, soy beans, seeds are excellent sources of minerals. It’s also great if you take multivitamin and mineral supplements, as they usually provide the sufficient daily dosage.
- Out body needs sufficient amount of water to be properly hydrated, eliminate toxins and, generally speaking, stay healthy. Thus, together with other hair growth tips, drinking a lot of water and eat juicy fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. It will help you hydrate your scalp and hair, preventing hair dryness and promoting natural hair regrowth.
- Talk to your hair stylist, your friends and possibly colleagues and choose a hairstyle which will suit your hair at best. It should make you feel comfortable and, what’s more important, it must be healthy for your hair. Try to avoid hairstyles which may slow down blood circulation in the scalp and lessen ventilation, for example, tight ponytail or pigtail, or cause any kind of damage (perms, bleaching, etc). Remember, healthy condition of your hair should always come first.
- Additionally, trim your hair regularly (about every 3 or 4 months) in order to avoid split ends. Of course, your hair won’t grow faster or better because of that, but it will definitely look more kempt and healthy. Some people prefer not to trim their hair at all just because they want it long. But if you think about it, there’s no real need to avoid trimming and leave your hair careless. Averagely, each hair grows about 1 cm a month. So if you cut off 1 or 2 cm every 3 or 4 months, you will still manage to grow your hair longer.
- Along with the mentioned hair growth tips, there are also special exercises to improve blood circulation in the scalp. For example, in yoga there are special postures which increase blood flow to hair follicles. Also doing scalp massage everyday will increase blood circulation in the headskin and promote your hair growth. The great thing about it is that you can easily do it on your own at home. You can even order a scalp massaging device. To make your hair grow faster, also rub Mira oil in your scalp, massage it gently before sleep and wash your head in the morning.
- Tips for hair growth also include certain things that you should avoid. Avoid tying hair too tight – just let them hang and breathe freely. Don’t be too hard while brushing it – you can easily damage hair follicles and cause scalp irritation. Don’t wash your hair too often, especially if you use some cheap shampoo with harsh chemical substances – wash your head with a high-quality shampoo not more than 2-3 times a week. Avoid hair coloring, perming, straightening, and blow drying, as it can damage hair follicles shafts and follicles and hinder natural hair growth. Keep your hair away from direct sunlight, because strong UV-rays is a great hazard for you hair and skin.
Images: www.sxc.hu/photo/1210007, www.flickr.com/photos/dedevanderroove/3325642891/